Friday, September 25, 2015

October 24, 2014: Hopping hills all around Miaoli County (128, Miaoli-22, Xianshan and Hwy 3)

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/618862766
170km, 6h52, 2165 elevation

Today's trip started out just like many Miaoli rides do: Taking Hwy 1 from Shalu, going through Qingshui, Dajia on to Yuanli and Tongxiao in Miaoli. That first section is always about 35km. From there, I take the 128 which is a mountain path, not too tough though. That road will lead to Tongluo and eventually Gongguan in Miaoli. Onwards I took Hwy 13 through Miaoli city up north to Toufen. These are all relatively easy sections, just a nice warm up.

From studying the map of Miaoli; I learnt that there are several little mountain paths connecting Hwy 13 and Hwy 3, on the eastern side of the Miaoli region. I had already cycled Miaoli-26 and Miaoli-24, which would connect to Shitan. Another option, more north was the Mingde Reservoir. There are two ways two go across the Mingde Reservoir, North of South of it. North is the 126 that will lead to Shitan on Hwy 3, the southern pass is Miaoli-16, which will connect to 126 and also end up in Shitan; at the same location. But there was one path I had not yet cycled: Miaoli-22. This Miaoli-22 is located somewhere south of Mingde Reservoir but far north from Miaoli-24 and 26. I only knew about this road's existence from passing by the starting point en route for Hwy 13,  as you can see on the picture below:



Miaoli-22, another small mountain path that will connect to Miaoli's eastern areas along Hwy 3


Ready for some climbing!





The first section was not too difficult, not too remote,  even having some occasional vehicles pass by.



There even was a bus stop



I was riding my beefy 30mm tyres today. Would not have to worry about getting a flat. Also really nice that my Roubaix fits these in quite nicely!



After 3-4km and a maybe 200 meters of altitude gain; the road started getting smaller, more cosy, providing me with that genuine, incomparable mountain pass feeling that I only have experienced in Taiwan so far

My darling, my precious (no I am not talking about a ring)


The weather was good, but the forecast said it might rain. That's why I left my camera at home and decided to just take some pictures with my cell phone


"We want you" Uncle Sam would've said


I saw this hiking trail after about 6-7km. Taiwan's small mountain passes do provide an awful lot of hiking possibilities, splendid for those who do not cycle. For me on the other hand, I could not imagine when I would have time for this kind of outdoor activity as my current life was rolling just like my bike wheels.



These roads are really something because other from the cycling itself, they also provide a tranquil setting to engage on some good workouts. And for me, that really adds to the joy of cycling BIG TIME



I am not a pervert, but when I saw this view I could not help but thinking about the breasts of a woman. Maybe the only sexist here are the geological factors hah!


Oh my god! That just looks like a ...


Local information



Another bus stop, neatly designed I must admit


Going for Touwu station


After passing this building or should I say construction, the road started descending.


I had to have at least one picture of my descent


Make that two


Or three

Fine, four it is! This where Miaoli-22 ends and we officially made it to Hwy 3, the eastern section of Miaoli. From this point left would be going up north to Sanwan and eventually Hsinchu county. Right would be Shitan, Dahu, Zhuolan and on to Taichung. I went right here, Hsinchu was not on my map for today!


After Miaoli-22, the next climb would be Xianshan,  located on Route 124. My map told me that this would be the entrance, so for a moment I thought that I could not access Xianshan. But I was wrong, there is another way in .


Xianshan straight ahead. I never took the time to check what was on this right. I will do that when I get back here. About Xianshan, from the point where I reached Hwy 3 it was very easy to access Route 124 which leads to Xianshan. That section begins at 49km and Xianshan is located at 43.5km. But that 5.5km are all uphill, the first three km are doable, with gradients varying 5-8%, the last 2km where really tough, especially the last 1200meters. I could remember the gradient being 14% for quite some time. It took me some sweat and some efforts, but I did make it to Xianshan.


Here she is, a beauty isn't she!


Xianshan scenic area


Some information about Xianshan and its history


There was also a temple here and a Hakka food center. I went inside for a lunch and had some Hakka dish which put me down some 90 bucks. But it was good, too bad I can't remember what it was called.


After my lunch and a quick chat with the boss that did not see many white people here, I headed back to Hwy 3, the same way I got here, via 124, going down all the way. That first part was also very steep downhill. Had to be really careful

When I made it back to Hwy 3, I was still in Shitan (the 120km mark of Hwy 3). From there it was Hwy 3 all the way, doing some climbing and descending to Dahu on to Zhuolan. That section roughly took me 90 minutes. I often ride that part and I am still not tired of it. Nice views and lots of small roads that connect to Hwy 3. You could call it field study, as I was already thinking on little roads I wanted to ride next time, to further enhance my knowledge of this area.

This is a picture in Zhuolan county, near the reservoir. It had been Double 10 Holiday (10 October) less than two weeks ago and the R.O.C. flags where still waving in the wind. Obviously I had to eternalize that on these pictures.


And one more


Then I led my GPS navigate me back to Fengyuan, where I was visiting friends for tea time. Garmin showed me some roads I had never done before, including Miaoli-52. Eventually I reached Hwy 13 in Houli and from there, Fengyuan was near.


A rice field in Southern Miaoli, just before a mountain. Lovely sight!


Shengang at dusk (this si located on Hwy 10's 17km mark). Also mind the temple in the center right position.



After my tea time, it was already dark. But I had a nice trip and did good climbing. These last two pictures are taken in Shalu,  less than 600 meters from where I live. It is a nice view over Taichung city and they really bring out the reflective side of my tyres haha. Another nice ride to add to my personal annalects.

No comments:

Post a Comment