Wednesday, September 23, 2015

June 5, 2015: Jiji Dashan, a lot of rain and work in the evening

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/794836007
213km, 9h36, elevation 3466m

Sometimes in life you gotta do crazy stuff. What that definition of crazy is, is up to the individual. Today that craziness meant doing a 200km trip before heading to work! Usually my Fridays are packed with classes from 2pm to 10pm. But I had two students cancelling classes and the only class that remained was the 8-10pm session. So I decided to just head out and complete a mission that has been on the checklist for a very long time: Jiji Mountain, located in Jiji township in Nantou County.

I first learned of this mountain's existence when I actually passed by it a few months ago during a round trip in Nantou. There was a sign indicating the entrance of this challenging mountain path. I did not have the time back then to engage on this mission and I had planned it a few times, but never really got to it. Today was a perfect opportunity to set old scores. From Shalu I went to Changhua, cycled 139 over Bagua mountain on to Fengshan temple, into Nantou, through Zhongliao on to Jiji, went up the mountain, back down again, continued my road to Beishankeng (147) which led back to Guoxing. From Guoxing I took 136 combining with a few little industry roads back to Taiping; on to Taichung city for my class and then back to Shalu. Isn't that a lovely trip!


 This Fengshan temple is well known among local cyclists. It borders between Changhua in the west and Nantou in the east. Been here quite a few times myself. The first time I stopped here was when I sold my alloy flatbar bike early January 2015.


 A quick selfie in the morning. Located behind me is the ever famous 139.


 After passing Nantou city, Zhongliao and Jiji are very close




 Zhongliao, quite a special place. I particularly liked the small roads from Zhongliao to 921 Mountain in Guoxing.






 Beautiful weather, lovely sights, sizzling temperatures... Welcome to Nantou!












 A special place where I just have to stop for a picture!


 Jiji  train station, I first came here with friends from Taipei in 2012 and then again in 2014 and now it is like a common feature on my Nantou rides.


 Black wheels, nice!



 This is it! After a rough 70km of warm up, this is the starting point for today's Jiji Mountain Challenge. 14km sounds doable, but it involves a 1400m ascent, which basically means a 10% average. Now that is steep!


Exactly, climbing is our mission


 0k, which means 14k left

 A closer look at the map will give us good intelligence of what's going to befall upon us.


Safety precautions, don't smake,  don't drink and drive; blablabla


 Ow yeah! My favorite kind of playground: remote, desolate and ascending


Smile! You're on candid camera!


 Just gotta love 'em Betelnut trees


 Pump up that volume, let the sweat roll down, this is a fantastic journey!





 A brief pause for a video recording...



Spectacular sights, you could really see the altitude gaining on this one! Lovely stuff!



In the mood for climbing and pounding


 A cute little rest stop with more information on the current traffic situation :-)


 My oh my, it is nantoulicious!


 This right here is the beauty of Taiwan, which cannot be found in urban areas




 This is about the 5,6km point of this climb. The first 2km were rough, there was a 20% ascent in the 3rd km which was very nasty and from here the road is keeping a steady 8%. A good 8km until we reach the top of this building





 Yeah couldn't help it taking all these pictures today. It was stronger than myself



 This tiny side roads are really something! Hard to immage someone living here






 At a certain point, the road conditions started to deteriorate. And I mean road bike unfriendly





 Getting higher and higher... and not a single soul on this mountain. Really astonishing. This actually makes this a wonderful place for working out! Heck I could even just ride this one twice on a certain day. Now that would be a divine workout!


 It appears to me as if the skies are warning me about a fallout that will occur later on this day. In other words,  it will be raining later on! Move it!


A view down, I was just cycling there. As you can see the road is curving big time



 This picture is misleading because it makes the road look acceptable. It was dreadful; full of branches and cracks and rocks and other stuff that could be harmful to cyclists.



 More cracks in the concrete...


 What a view!





 Very poor road conditions. Going down will be quite an ordeal.




 Almost there!!!

 There is even a trail here, ain't that nice




 Yep, those clouds are definitely warning me haha


 Current altitude somewhere around 1200m






 At last I've made it upstairs. This is the TV building I had read about in the blogs.




 What a remote place! I could only see one person driving a yellow vehicule of the Taiwan Power Corporation. He was probably just inspecting the conditions of the power network.

 Studying maps


 Welcome to the rooftop of this mountain, roughly at 1400meters. The view is nice! I met a guy here who was having lunch and he even gave me his business card. He was a tourist guide who takes people to this Jiji Mountain. He told me I should not linger too long as it would definitely rain soon. I took his word for it and hit the road. After my Mantou lunch that is...





 Sky is getting darker! The scooter belongs to that sir I just referred to.


 Love this bike!



 After taking a few more snapshots, I decided not to waste any time and get my ass off of this mountain. I got back down in one piece, even though the constant cracks in the concrete made this a though ordeal. Disc brakes would be the number one choice for this section of the road. When I arrived at the 0km point, I picked up the 2kg bottle of watter I had left behind. Very clever indeed. After restocking on drinks and finishing my lunch, I continued my journey. First 131 then 147 and then 136 back to Taichung.


The 131 goes from Jiji to Shuili and on to Puli. These are a few images of Shuili. This place is called the Mingtan reservoir.



I had come here once in 2014. At that time the hills in this section burned all my energy. Today I could really notice my improved physique. That was the biggest joy of the ride!



 On my way to Taichung



When I got here, the downpour had already initiated. I was just grateful I did not have to go down Jiji Mountain in wet conditions. Now that would have been dangerous! Compared to those gradients, this segment was a piece of cake. Now the intersection that lies ahead in this picture also takes me back in time. I had come here once in September 2014, almost a whole year ago. Straight ahead would be Puli,  left would be Guoxing, which would be closer to Taichung. Originally I wanted to go straight ahead to Puli and go to Taichung from there. Unfortunately it was raining heavily and I did not want to have time pressure. I needed to be back in Taichung at at least 7:30pm for my class. That is why I went left and took the 147, a small road that would lead to Highway 14 in Guoxing.


In September last year, this section was pretty rough. I remember really having to push myself to the limit for this section. Today was different. The only annoying thing were the downpours and when sun kicked it, my raincoat felt super hot. So I had to stop several times for putting my raincoat on and off. But eventually the sign Guoxing appeared in front of me, which meant I could enjoy a long descent right now and relax.

The confines between Shuili and Guoxing township





 Even though the sun came out; the soil was still wet and slippery. Careful downstairs!



 When I came back to Beishankeng, the village right in front of Guoxing, there was another heavy downpour. I saw a little barn with a small rooftop and I hid under it. I must have stayed here for more than 20 minutes. Wise decision not going to Puli today!


 Wet wet wet wet


 What a day! Leaving so early, climbing, descending, raining, ... I was starting to feel weary



 When I came back to the Hwy 14 in Guoxing and passed by this Hi-Life, I saw there was an event. I went inside because I was feeling hungry. A guy who also enjoys cycling started to chat with me. I stayed there for 20 minutes and then I headed right; for 136 to Taiping






It has been a long day, but here I am: Chikanding! Most of the climbing is now over! 



 Mythical location!



Maopu Industry Road. Coming down from Chikanding I took this small road to go back to Taiping. From there, I head back to Taichung city. I arrived at the school around 7pm, having all the time I needed to refresh, change and go outside for a meal. The two hours of teaching were rough, but I pulled through and when I came back at 11pm in Shalu, I did 213km and burned almost 5000 calories; Needless to say I slept like a baby that night!




No comments:

Post a Comment