Wednesday, September 23, 2015

February 7th 2015: Getting the most out of a few hours of free time

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/706735888

These few weeks have been pretty busy with winter classes and regular classes leaving me with not a single day off for cycling. However, on this Saturday my first class was only at one pm. That's why I decided to head out early and do some riding. At least that why I let out the dog a little :-)

My day started really early, setting out from Shalu in complete darkness. I decided to head south, to Changhua county. Basically that is Hwy 1.



 But before we hit the road, we need to get some mantous, love those for a breakfast!



I rode Hwy 1 to Changhua city where I connected to Hwy 14. Hwy 14 can go all the way to Wushe or even Lushan in the very east of Nantou, but no time for that today. I followed this Hwy 14 form Changhua to Fenyuan, on to Caotun and eventually Guoxing. From there I took the 136 and headed back to Taichung city.


 As you can see, still winter over here and not too warm. However, not a freezing Belgian winter either.


 On small rides like these, I have to rely on my flatbar buddy with them 30mm tyres.



Along Highway 14 I found this little bridge. I don't know if many people even crossed this bridge, but I am sure Nathan Miller has :D

Actually I did visit this bridge somewhere in October or November 2014, when my GPS sent me through a few tunnels and back to this bridge. I did come from the other side. This area is known as Pinglin village, yeah a LOT of places in Taiwan are alled Pinglin and this bridge lacks originality: Pinglin bridge.


 Being occupied every single day for the last three weeks, this mini-ride actually feels really good! I love cycling!


 An overcast sky


 On to Pinglin village


 Due to lack of time, I did not go all the way


 ROC army defending the country along Hwy 14



 An important intersection here: left is 136 back to Taiping and Taichung city. Straight ahead more Hwy 14 on to Guoxing, Puli and even Wushe and Lushan


 I was talking a little break at this Hi-life and I met this nice rider. His name is Wang Qilin and he was going for Taiping as well. We decided to take that climb together. Later I would see him again for the Gonglaoping race in Fengyuan. Central Taiwan is a small world indeed!



 Chikanding, the peak of this 136 road. A bit tougher on my flatbar, but still a nice workout!



 Lovely background setting



 I wanted to come here again. This is where that Dasanyuan race ended. It was a fun experience and I wanted another picture of this spot.





 After that the road went on to Taichung city


A quick lunch before heading to the school, class at one am. I didn't come in late :-)


At night, I came back via Metropolitan Garden


Needless to point out it was dark


A good excuse to use my bike lights at full strength



Mysterious feeling being here at night


I like these tires, they are safe


Nocturnal Bartman



Without discs this dark descent would be very creepy

No comments:

Post a Comment