Tuesday, September 22, 2015

January 12th 2015: A madness maze in Miaoli got me riding all day


Garmin activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/671911072
160km, elevation 2400m, 7h17'

This has been my first "long range trip" in 2015. Coming back to Taiwan on January 8th, The day after coming back I had taken a 136 that combined with a jetlag, really pushed me to the limits.After a few days of good night rest, it was time to go for a genuine century again.

Early in the morning, I set out from Shalu, Taichung. I took the tradition climb to Metropolitan Garden, down to Daya, through Shengang on to Fengyuan. There I took Hwy 3 to Shigang and Dongshi. From Dongshi the ride actually started. I took the 140, which I and my friends took during a trip last year. We rode to the Xiangbi elementary school and they told me there was a way to connect directly to Dahu, located on hwy 3. Well, I have been studying my maps and it appears there are two ways to connect to Dahu. I had already taken one of the two last year, the Zhongxiang Daolu. When I passed by if was raining, which made it a very difficult trip. The gradients were as steep as 15% and due to slippery concrete, I decided to walk one section. Don't wanna fall and break a leg.


The bridge across 140, up front things will become remote




When I came here with the cycling club, we went left to the elementary school and then we headed back. When I came here solo, I also went to the elementary school, but I continued my journey to Dahu and from there back to Taichung. Today I would be taking right; following Zhong47 all the way to the end, connecting to Miaoli61back to Dahu. According to my calculations, the distance spent to get to Dahu would be longer; so the climb should be more gradual. Wrong answer! This climb was even more pinchy, going as steep as 20%. This climb lasted for a few km which were really rough. Add to it the fact that the roads were in pretty poor condition. But on the other hand, very little traffic, the tranquility of this resort was just fantastic! Definitely worth the nasty climb.




This is the section where Taichung47 stops and Miaoli61 commences. This is also the part where the gradient will be very steep for a while.

But as you can see, only pure beauty of Mother Nature lies ahead. Who would wanna miss that!


A few selfies for the album




One of the aboriginal tribes located in this mountain area. Actually kinda beautiful


Just too bad the stereotypes about them drinking in abundance are true...


That's it, the Chinese xuejiqn, that is where I am heading.

Just lovely to be here, just marvelous.



All of the sudden it started to rain, so I decided to hide under this tiny rooftop of this shack. Just enough to keep me dry. While I was standing here, I decided to refill the engine. I also received a phone call from a good friend who was worried about my whereabouts. I told him not to worry.


Now this is actually an interesting section. As you can see this is an intersection with various possibilities. Of course no signs telling me how to go to Dahu, so I had to pick one. Obviously I picked the wrong one...


At first I did not give it much thought, I just used my GPS to navigate to Dahu, which my GPS told me was only a mere 13km through this road. So I decided to just follow my device.


But the road's condition deteriorated... at least for a tiny road bike that is


It got worse! At some point I even felt scared.


Then I saw the road being blocked. At first I thought this was just a fallen tree. I can walk underneath it.


But then I saw WHY there was a tree blocking the road there. To prevent stupid people like myself from crashing into Taiwanese Oblivion. Only one thing left to do: head back for 8km to that intersection and take another road. That's gonna cost me some time and energy...


Let's take some pictures while I am here. Ain't no coming back here any time soon.


Later I learned that this section was disrupted by a Typhoon and will not be rebuilt. So I will probably never come back here. When I got back to the intersection, I saw a guy in a truck chewing a betelnut. I took my chance and asked him how to go to Dahu. Let's just say that his road description was a lot different from what I had learned from maps. But he was right! Some lefts right left magic and I saw this sign.


Seeing Dahu here was like seeing Las Vegas after walking for hours in a sizzling hot desert. Felt like salvation was near. Where is that metropolis called Dahu!


The local guy didn't screw me over. This is Miaoli61 which I was supposed to find all along. From here, I could once again rely on my maps! Yeah!


Although I got lost and lost time, I still had the mental power to enjoy this scenery. How bizarre that this is also a part of Taiwan. Nobody seems to know it, or even seems to be going there...


Hello Sunshine!


Next time I can check out this little farm road, see where it goes!


After this ordeal, I made it back to Dahu. From there on it was just Hwy 3 back to Taichung. I had afternoon tea at Fengyuan and I got back home in one piece. What a ride! Gotta do it again sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment