Sunday, September 27, 2015

March 9 2015: Travelling through 5 counties, collecting 335km is my longest trip ever

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/720773322
336km, 12h37, 2861 elevation

Before the narrations I would just like to point out that this trip was more about cycling than taking pictures and enjoying the ride. It was a quest for numbers and records, this under an overcast sky with several downpours all day long.

I got up really early. It was still dark outside and I had the entire day for wandering around outside. My goal for today was the "Meishan 36 turns" section in Chiayi county. This spot can best be described as a tourist attraction, not too tough, just a nice view from the sky as you can see on this picture:

I got dressed, prepared my backpack and GPS and took my bicycle outside. Before setting foot outside, I noticed it was raining. Not too intense, but a continuous drizzle. I stood there for almost ten minutes wondering what I was to do. I had checked the weather forecast and there would be a 10% chance of rain in Central Taiwan. That is why I decided to start cycling, first section: Shalu to Wuqi.

It was dark on this section and it did not stop raining. Before reaching West Coast Highway 17 I hid under a temple rooftop. I thought, let's just see where this goes. Let's go to Lukang and decide there.
As soon as I entered Highway 17, I noticed I had a tail wind. Funny thing about Taiwan is the seasonal change of wind direction. In March the wind would go from North to South, thus in my direction. This resulted in a fantastic average speed of 37kmph in this section. Add the fact that there was almost none traffic due to the early hour, I was making serious progress. Lukang appeared in front of me in no time. It was dry in Lugang so I continued my journey through Changhua county. After Lukang came Fuxing, Fangyuan and Dacheng township and in no time, I found myself in Yunlin county.

Yunlin county is not that large so I made it to Chiayi county really fast. There were a few downpours during my road but everything went smoothly. It was also the first time I cycled all the way to Chiayi county. I had been here once in 2013, on my trip through Taiwan. The day the incredible downpour and Typhoon abruptly ended my first ever Tour de Taiwan. At this point I had accomplished 115km in only three hours, fantastic average speeds.

In Dongshi township (Chiayi county), I started cycling Route 166. There was another downpour and I decided to take a rest stop because I was very hungry. But there was not a 7-11, Hi-Life, Family Mart or other small shop around. I decided to only take a break when I found one. It became a very difficult part as I was hungry and that will make the miles a lot tougher. At least there was a Hi-Life after 140km. It was a new record: cycling 140km non stop without a single (lunch) break. I made up for that with a good meal and some cookies in this shop. After that break, I continued my journey along Route 166. Up to here this road was just flat, just having some head wind at certain times. At a certain point, I saw Highway 1. Nothing strange about it, but for me it brought me back to that Tour de Taiwan in 2013, when I was cycling this highway and I remembered this section. I came from another direction, but the memory was still there. At this point I had already cycled about 150km and I was not even close to Meishan.

The intersection of Hwy 1 and Route 166

The downpours and dirty roads because of it made my bike really filthy. I would have to wash it when I got back home.


The weather wasn't pretty, but the numbers for this trip were really incredible early in the day.

After some more kilometers, Route 166 also had an intersection with the mountainous Hwy 3. Right after that intersection, I started seeing some ascents. Actually that makes sense, since Hwy 3 is located in the mountains. Going east from Hwy 3 literally means entering the mountains.

Beautiful yellow three

The first ascent of the day, just after passing Hwy 3

This is where I entered Zhuqi township of Chiayi county. I was still riding Route 166 but I was facing ascents at this point. The weather wasn't improving that much and a small climb to only 900 meters was enough to face a thick mist.


Couldn't see a lot up here.


I remember that on this location, I already had completed 176km. I had not even started going back yet. This is where I realized that I would actually do more than 300km in a single trip. A first for me. Before today, my longest trip had been the 265km from Shalu to Wuling and back.

Falling rocks and wet roads, enough reason to be careful



The ride along Route 166 just kept continuing and there was a lot of climbing now. In that 70km section I gained about 2600 meters of altitude.



All of the sudden I found myself within the Alishan National Park, never been here before. I could say the little train that rides here.


Alishan National Park area


After almost 80km of Route 166, I reached an intersection between 166 and 162-2. I had already cycled more than 200km. Today's numbers were just insane. I just couldn't believe it.


Getting soaked all day, climbing through fog,  doing crazy numbers... I think this weary experession is more than justified

A nice scenery along the road. About 225km in the saddle.




This Route 162-2 would eventually lead to the reason I was here today: Meishan 36 turns. But all of the sudden it started raining really hard. So hard that I decided to hide it out. As it just kept raining,  and I still had a crazy 120km to go, I decided to just go with it. The entire Meishan36 section was under a heavy downpour and I was soaked when I made it back to the planes.


Hiding it out under a small rooftop

Meishan 36 turns, going downhill in the rain for 36 turns. I've had more comfortable rides.

Hello Mr. Rain!

I made it down safely,  but I was still in Chiayi county and the end goal would have to be Shalu, Taichung. And it was already getting dark.I decided to take Hwy 3 back north, as I was afraid for a head wind in the west. I went to Gukeng (Yunlin county), Douliu, Linnei, on to Nantou county, Zhushan, Mingjian, Nantou and Caotun. Onward to Taichung Wufeng; city center and back to Shalu. Just that section was another 100km. I had been cycling a few hours in the dark and my lights had already given up on me. It had been a crazy ride in which I visited five counties (Taichung; Changhua; Yunlin; Chiayi and Nantou) with a crazy 336km. This has been an unprecedented ride for me.

Crazy numbers, nice average speed

Descent elevation gain compared to total distance

The blue line indicates my trip of the day. What a giant circle on the map of Taiwan


No comments:

Post a Comment