Friday, September 25, 2015

June 8 2015: a KOM ride in Miaoli with three challenging climbs

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/798425204
230km, 10h45, elevation 4000m

This time I wanted to prove that Miaoli could be a perfect KOM arena. In order to prove that point, I would combine three mountain routes into one crazy trip. Those three hills (I should not really call them mountains) are: Xuejian (in Tai'an township), New Central Cross Highway (also in Tai'an, located between Baguali and Tai'an Hot Spring) and number three would be the accumulation of Hwy 3 going back to Taichung. You could also consider Xianshan to be one of them but actually that was part of the 124 which was the ending point of number two. So let's keep it at three climbs.

I started the day very traditionally, buying some mantou's in Shalu, doing Metropolitan Garden; on to Fengyuan and to Dongshi. From Dongshi on to Taichung-47 all the way to the Xiangbi tribe, which I first learnt of with my Taiwanese buddies from Fengyuan. That first section already got me a nice 1000 meters of altitude gain.


 Taichung-47, at about 12km


 A lovely morning and I was ready for some nice climbing.


 And this new helmet would help me through it all


 A view from the 13km spot. It goes down pretty steep from here.


 Already sweating. Before even starting my attack on Xuejian I already accumulated a 1000 meters of elevation gain.




 Zhong-47 is a tranquil road which really brings you to another world



 Remember this one? Left to Xiangbi tribe and Xiangbi road. Right,  more of Zhong-47 on to Xuejian. My direction for today.


 First time to bring my Fulcrum Racing Zero wheelset over here




 I stopped at this little shop to buy some drinks. It was sizzling hot and I had not even begun the ferocious climbs that were ahead of me. Good thing I always bring a back pack.


 Cute little church in aboriginal spheres


 A little descent, nearing the end of Zhong-47





 Here it is, the border section between Taichung and Miaoli. This is where the climb the Xuejian begins


 I first and last came here in January this year. Things were quite different now, most importantly having a better physique


 And of course, this shining bright helmet :-)


 Let the games begin!





 Onward to Xuejian


 Feeling like a KOM star today




 I brought my camera for some nice recordings. You don't come here everyday right?


 At this point I had already tackled the first long climb. About 7-8km with nothing but climbing and with aggressive gradients, as steep as 20%. When I came here in January that really got me knocked out. Today was different and I felt glad about that.


 Little roads with no one here. Exactly my idea of a enjoyable cycling trip


 And look at this view, almost looks like Datong area of Yilan county



A view back


 And with a sky like this, you know you will not have to worry about anything


 In January I literally spent hours in this maze, trying to find the way to Dahu. Salvation came from a bystander who told me how to navigate though the small passes. Today I would not have to spend one second looking for the road. Dahu here I come!


More tiny villages


 Going for Dahu, back to Hwy 3





 This section was going down; very steep! As steep as 22%. Dangerously steep! Sorry for pushing you to the limit,  bike brakes



 Now that is REALLY dangerous! Luckily I knew this one was there. But man if you don't, who knows where you will fly to?


Exactly what I mean. Driving a road bike this could be letal... They should change that though...


 More steep gradients going down


 See what I mean, MINUS TWENTY-TWO haha


 This section was better, just about 7-8%


 I just came from that hill on the right. Looks steep doesn't it? It looks even more steep in real life.


 Left: Dahu Right: A road that was destroyed by a Typhoon some years ago. Didn't have to think this
one through,  left it is!



 I ended up on Miaoli-61, which would bring me back to Dahu city center in just 9km





 Some snapshots of this section, of which the roads were in very good conditions




 Here I am, Dahu! The first section of today's triple challenge went well. On to the next!


 Navigating to Hwy 3



Welcome to the Tai'an tribe. It used to be called Da'an tribe but they did not like the confusion with Taichung's Da'an, which is not that far from here


 You can read that anecdote on this plate


 Miaoli-62, going back to the eastern hills for Tai'an Hot Spring, where the starting point for my second climb of the day is. This section had a max. gradient of 12%







Here it is, the section which they call Xinzhongheng, new central crossway. It basically leads to Baguali and Xianshan. This section is renowned for its ridiculously steep patterns. Both ascents and descents are dangerously steep, surpassing the magic number of 20%. And it was also very, very hot!





 Going up...




 Tai'an tunnel, going down now...







 See what I mean; very steep!


 Too bad my GPS hung itself up in this section, so my map of this trip is not complete. First time that ever happened to me. Kinda felt sad about it.


Route 124, after I finished the second climb of the day. Instead of going down directly from Xianshan; I continued 124 to Sanwan. That was about 30km extra and it leads all the way to Sanwan township, which borders with Hsinchu county. From there I took Hwy 3 all the way through Shitan,  Dahu and Zhuolan, places I frequently visit. Obviously I stopped for tea in Fengyuan and when I got back it was already dark. This was a very intensive ride with lot's of (steep) climbing. It is, in my humble opinion, the best you could get out of Miaoli. Except for maybe Malabang mountain, but that one is just ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment