Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Early August 2013: Cycling around Taiwan (preparations)

Before the grand voyage – getting there

Today was finally the big day! August 13 or in other words the day of my Eurasian flight to Taipei! I went to work in the morning and I raced to Brussels Airport for my first flight to London. After running through the check in, which my Zumba job allowed me to practice on several occasions this year, I saw that the big British Aircraft was already waiting for me. It took less than an hour to get to London Heathrow and the only thing I did there was transfer from terminal 5 to terminal 2. It was already dark when I saw that the Eva Airlines’ big green bird was waiting for us.

The next part of the flight was London – Bangkok and after a technical stop over it went straight for Taipei Taoyuan International Airport. I enjoyed myself during the flight chatting with a Taiwanese girl sitting next to me and watching a Taiwanese show called 翻糖花園 Fondant Garden. When I landed on Formosan soil, I was told that they had forgotten my luggage in London. I don’t believe it! How am I going to cycle around the island without my bicycle! I urged them to get that luggage delivered ASAP, because I only have three weeks and I need to make the most out of it, and for that, I need my bike. After filling out the tracking forms, my Taiwanese dad was waiting for me in the arrival hall. What a delightful and wonderful feeling to see him after so many months! Thousands of miles away from home and still a loving and caring father to help me out!

British Airlines, for a short flight to London Heathrow
Eva Airlines, the national Taiwanese flight company. This was the aircraft that was NOT carrying my bike

Transfering at Bangkok, Thailand



Upon arrival in Taiwan, I still had to go through immigration. Luckily it was late in the evening so it went fast
Queuing up for immigration

Another setback – the Tyfoon

The first days I found myself without a bike, but I got to borrow a friend's bike. I spend these days hanging out with the bike team. We cycled to Fengguizui once, which is a tight climb for only 7km of road. It is funny how the signs next to the road tell you you burnt approximately 1000 calories. I enjoyed hitting Fengguizui a lot. I remember when I did it last year, it was tough and I could barely manage. But now, with my click shoes and my top-knotch physical condition, I raced 'till the end. That feeling was marvelous! The bike team buddies complemented me on my aggressive Climbing skills haha.
The second day I cycled around in Taipei city, following the bike paths. I also went to Neihu to check out the Specialized bike shop. I really wanted to see it, to check out the prices and to see what they sell. Basically it was all the same. It was a Concept Store and they basically do everything like in every country. But it was still nice to see it.

It seems like the gods are against me on this trip, because right when I wanted to start my trip, a serious tyfoon hit Taiwan. The downpour from the overcast skies was extremely heavy. I don’t think I have ever seen it rain so intensively and continuously as the past few days. It literally rained for three days in a row and cycling outside was not a good idea! Stubborn as I am, I still checked it out and I got soaked. However, I made use of the occasion to visit friends and take care of some unfinished business. I visited a few bike shops and got some nice cycling clothes. Over here they are way cheaper and in Europe and the quality is still comparable. During this time, another great deal of airplanes found their way to Taiwan and one of them was even carrying my bike. I will never know which one it was but at least they delivered my after five days and I went straight to the bike shop to have it ready and equipped for my Grand Tour de Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment